Reasons for having a corporate blog
I have been working on a project for setting up a corporate blog. Nice challenge for me! Many do’s and don’ts on the horizon, but really interesting and funny research work. I thought it would be nice of me to share the steps involved in getting a corporate blog together. But, first what is a corporate blog? It’s a web page where a company through authorized editors or through its employees can have a more informal voice. Style is an important ingredient for a corporate blog. It should be informal, with a personal touch, unlike the cold style of the press releases.
Is it advisable for a company to have its own blog? The pros would be:
- to reach prospective customers
- if a company has a unique product/service, this should be spoken out by all possible Internet channels, not only by website
- Companies should observe the nowadays trend. Marketers have realized that blogging is becoming a power tool.
- Look around: competitors do it already.
- to strengthen relationships with important target groups
- to position the company and its key employees as industry experts
- Communicating through a blog demonstrates that the company realizes its impact on society and is anxious to improve the (social) relationships to clients, press, employees, local communities or the general public.
- A corporate blog is one step towards meeting customers’ rapidly changing needs in a WorldWideWeb where communication has become increasingly one-way and impersonal.
- to strengthen the relationship with the partners by giving them a “public voice”
- to improve relationships with the employees
- being a PR tool, it can solve or prevent crisis
In the following episode, I will tell you the challenges met by companies who decided to blog. It’s not so simple as it seems.